LANGFORDS IN NOLA

Monday, September 04, 2006

Katrina Anniversary

(The above pic is a newspaper that we found at the house we worked at. Notice the date, Aug. 28, 2005, the day before Katrina hit...)

I cannot believe that it's been a year since Hurricane Katrina, the event that radically changed our lives (personally and spiritually), and the lives of countless others! M. and I have been through a lot in the past year, but above everything we have come to know and love God more for the events of the past year. And we are truly grateful to all those family and friends who helped us (be it finanically or physically or emotionally) by providing for us selflessly. We love you very much. Ok, I am not going to harp on Katrina any more because we (and I'm sure you) are tired of hearing the word "Katrina," but what we do want to share is our experience last Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2006.


M. and I along with hundreds of other NOBTS students and families from the Gentilly community got together on the anniversary of Katrina and went out into the community to be a part of a day of rebuilding and working in the city. We have been gutting and working here and there since the storm, but this was a very special day to get to rebuild and work alongside our friends who were also affected by the storm, to give a little back to our community. This was not a one-day event, but rather the start of a long-term effort of the NOBTS family to rebuild its community and city.

M. and I were part of a team that went to gut a house. But since this particular house had not been touched since the storm, technically we didn't get to the "gutting" stage...it was more of a "clean out." Here are some pics of the house and us working.